Friday, August 17, 2012

Categorizing Web 2.0 Tools

“Web 2.0 tools allow users to create and share content online. Also, Web 2.0 tools "live" on the Internet, with no need to download software to a computer.”

Ever since I read this definition of Web 2.0 tools from my Leading Edge Certification textbook, I've felt like a great mystery was solved. I've seen many lists of Web 2.0 tools and I always wondered what made them "Web 2.0" so this helps organize it.

However, the range of sites that fit this definition is enormous. I feel like there needs to be some sort of taxonomy for all the Web 2.0 tools out there for educators and students. I've seen the Bloom's Taxonomy diagram, but it's not really working for me for a couple of reasons. One, it's become outdated already as new tools pop up almost every day. Two, many of the tools can be used on many levels of Bloom's depending on the activity. Three, it tells me very little about the type of product or sharing that can take place.


I'm looking for something that will let me examine a new tool and mentally group it with some other things I'm familiar with and be able to retrieve it in the middle of writing a lesson plan because of its "fit" to my learning goals.

Will Richardson uses these categories in his book, Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms: blogs, wikis, RSS feeds, Twitter, Flickr, social bookmarking, podcasting, screencasting, videocasting, and social networks. This is a good list, but it still leaves out sites that let me create my own comic strips, for example.

Here's my attempt at a taxonomy with examples. It's still not a perfect system because there are still some tools that can be used in different ways.

Curation

Storytelling

Presentation

Mind Mapping

Infographics

Question and Answer

Reflection/Discussion

Information Gathering

What do you think? Can you come up with any other categories I've missed?



No comments:

Post a Comment